Whether you know exactly what you are wanting to collect or you just want to venture out to find a spontaneous unique item, antiquing is a worthwhile pursuit that is fun and exciting.
However, it can be a bit intimidating if you are just getting started. Luckily for you, we’ve got seven helpful tips to make the most of your antique shopping experience.
- Read and study your antique interests. Take a look at price books, or read a general antique
- Find a good local resource for where the best antique shops are in your area. Some good guides that many people use here in Northern Indiana are Antique Week, The Farmer’s Exchange, The Auction Exchange, area chambers of commerce, etc. Or, pick up an Antique Trail Map from the Shipshewana Antique Mall, which highlights great local
- Once you find a good shop or mall, ask there as well as many area antique shops and malls network. They can tell you where to go next, etc. You will soon find out where your interests will take
- Start out slowly and take time to shop
- Ask lots of questions. Inspect the goods carefully to make sure you’ll feel good about the
- Become an expert in the field you are interested in by buying, collecting, and maybe even paying too much now and then for something. When that happens, don’t feel bad as everyone that has ever collected anything at all has done that! Some people call that “tuition” or “getting a good education!”
- Enjoy your antiques. It is fun to collect as there are many good memories of where you picked this piece up at or how you acquired that piece sitting over by the fireplace. You may have your favorite piece of pottery or the best piece of mission furniture that money could buy. Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!
Ready to find your perfect vintage treasure? Stop by the Shipshewana Antique Mall for quality antique shopping, and while you’re there, pick up a Shipshewana Antique Trail map for more local shops! Also, be sure to attend the outdoor Shipshewana Antique Markets on the first Saturdays in June, August and September. When it comes to antiques, the thrill of the hunt is the best thrill of all!
Packed with stories, travel ideas and deals, you'll get the very best of Shipshewana & LaGrange County delivered right to your inbox.