Shipshewana is magical at Christmas…
The entire small town of Shipshewana is lit up with beautiful Christmas lights during the holidays and looks like something straight out of a Hallmark Christmas movie! The Christmas celebrations here truly showcase the towns small-town charm and kind-hearted people, as well as its bright and sparkling Yuletide joy.
We’d like to invite you to experience everything the holidays have to offer in Shipshewana, Indiana! We can’t promise snow, but we can promise a magical Christmas experience that you won’t find anywhere else.
While you’re here for some of our larger events, you could also:
- Stay at one of the beautiful inns or an Amish-owned B&Bs all decked out for the holidays.
- Have a shopping experience unlike any other: unique, artisan-created gifts and foods, as well as antiques, collectibles, and anything else you’re looking for, all in one picturesque small town.
- Visit shops owned by Amish and Mennonites, learn about their cultures, and how they celebrate this wonderful time of year.
- Try a ride on the indoor, 100-year-old, fully restored indoor carousel on the top floor of the Davis Mercantile! You can take selfies on a beautiful hand-carved and hand-painted horse and enjoy all the other scenic photo opportunities.
- Have delicious meals, including traditional Amish dinners and desserts. Then grab some hand-made baked goods or a treat from the candy store to take home!
- Take a carriage ride through the scenic lights of Downtown Shipshewana.
- Attend one of the world-class Concerts at the Blue Gate Performing Arts Center, including: Mannheim Steamroller, the Celtic Angels, Kenny G, The Lettermen, Sawyer Brown, and more throughout the month of December.
THE LIGHTING OF SHIPSHEWANA
Sat. Nov. 11TH, 2023
Kick off your holidays with The Lighting of Shipshewana. It’s an entire day of activities, visits with Santa, open houses, music, games, hot cider and cocoa, and various food vendors. At 7pm is the Light Parade, followed by the official lighting of the 54 ft. Christmas tree and the entire downtown area. You’ve never scene a light show like this!
LIGHTS OF JOY LIGHT DRIVE THRU
Nov. 17th – 19th & Nov. 24th – Dec 31st (Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day)
Experience a one-of-a-kind drive-through light display extravaganza, showcasing more than two million LED Christmas lights displayed in an almost mile-and-a-half-long symphony of colorful light scenes celebrating the holiday season!
Now open seven days a week from Nov. 24th. Closed on Dec. 24th & 25th.
NOEL – A CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR
*Optional dinner and pre-show available.
Sat. Dec. 9th, 2023
Stop in to Aunt Millie’s Candy & Nut Shop in the Davis Mercantile for a limited-edition candy box starting at noon (suggested donation of $25 for a local good cause.) Then, travel to shops around town to fill them with yummy chocolates and enjoy the Chocolate Day specials offered by local retailers.
Collect Candy while checking off your Christmas shopping list, what a sweet way to multi-task!
KID’S DAY – SANTA COMES TO TOWN
Sat. Dec. 2nd, 2023
Santa’s Village can be found downtown on Morton Street, and he will be there from 11am- 3pm.
Inside the little red building, Santa will be waiting to visit with any child who comes, but make sure to stop by the other stations as well to partake in hot cocoa, cookie decorating, coloring pages, goodie bags and a giveaway! Participating stores – JoJo’s Pretzels, Vanilla Bean Creamery, Red Wagon & Millies Market Cafe -will have “reindeer games” including corn hole, coloring, shooting hoops, a candy grab, recipes, treats and more from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
The Christmas Candy Caper
Thurs. Nov 9th – Sat. Dec 30th, 2023 (Times vary.)
A fun Christmas musical about a woman who loves pranks and cried wolf one-too-many times, so when really kidnapped from her candy shop, everyone thinks it’s just another prank. Will the townspeople ever come to her rescue?
ICE FESTIVAL & CHILI COOKOFF
Fri. Jan 19th – Sat. Jan 20th 2024
Teams of ice block carvers will be around town creating amazing themed sculptures, and you can help crown a winner! Come early and watch how these temporary sculptures are created. Ice carvers will compete for the best ice sculpture, and you can vote for your favorite.
Then visit the chili cookoff to vote for best chili in Shipshewana!